(Yellowknife, July 21, 2022) – As recommended by Chief Public Health Officer, Moderna’s Spikevax COVID-19 vaccine will be available to children 6 months to 5 years of age in the NWT.
Starting in the week of July 25th, 2022, appointment availability will open in Yellowknife and communities throughout the NWT as vaccine supplies are shipped to local health centres.
Parents and guardians who wish to have their children vaccinated are encouraged to look out for local opportunities or contact their local public health units or health centres for information on when vaccines will be available in their communities.
In the NWT the dosing schedule will follow the recommendations of the National Advisory Council on Immunization with two doses spaced at least 8 weeks apart.
At the Yellowknife Centre Square Mall vaccination clinic space, walk-in appointments continue to be open to both adult and youth vaccinations. Appointments can be booked at NTHSSAbookings.simplybook.me. The 6 month to 5 year vaccine will be offered on Wednesday’s and Friday’s, booked appointments are preferred. If vaccine clinic schedules or availability change they are posted at www.nthssa.ca/covid-vaccine.
In all other communities, residents are able to access COVID vaccinations by contacting their local health centre or public health office to arrange an appointment. For more information on COVID-19, visit www.nthssa.ca/covid.
Information on COVID-19 Vaccines for Parents and Guardians
- COVID-19 vaccines are safe and provide good protection against severe illness and hospitalization due to COVID-19.
- Most children with COVID-19 have mild disease or no symptoms at all; however, some children who are moderately to severely immunocompromised get severe disease and need to be hospitalized. (Ideally, we would like to offer to this group who are at highest risk for burden of disease).
- The Moderna mRNA COVID-19 vaccine has been approved by Health Canada for children 6 months to 5 years of age.
- Young children get a much smaller dose of the same Moderna vaccine used for youth and adults. The 6 month to 5 year old Moderna vaccine is a different concentration.
- Side effects of COVID-19 vaccines are usually mild and similar to other childhood immunizations. Serious side effects are very rare.
- Children 6 months to 5 years of age need 2 doses of the Moderna vaccine to complete their primary (initial) series.
- The second dose is offered 8 weeks after the first.
- If your child was recently sick with COVID infection or COVID like symptoms, they can get the vaccine 8 weeks after their symptoms or they tested positive for COVID-19.